During the silk screening class I teach last week I brought in my experimental burnout ink.
We attempted to burn out several different fabric and fiber types. Here are a few tips we picked up:
- Make sure to saturate the fabric when you print so the ink goes through the shirt.
- Burn it out to a light golden brown, not any darker or you’ll stain the fabric.
- Wash immediately with cold water.
- Print on a towel with plastic on top (A soft platen helps with ink penetration)
- Screen print the design a few times with a high angle and lots of pressure.
- 50/50 polyester cotton blend fabric shirts didn’t work very well.
- 25 rayon 25 cotton 50 polyester worked the best
For many more pictures and some photo’s of the process check my picasa album.